upgarde with olpc-update

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat May 28 05:39:23 EDT 2011

On 27.05.2011, at 23:09, Daniel Drake wrote:

> On 27 May 2011 22:05, Yioryos Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to upgrade the XO-1 to 11.2.0 builds from 10.1.3 or earlier builds as the wiki page suggests? [1]
>> Someone did try it and run into problems beyond the space limitation [2]
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/11.2.0#Upgrading_with_olpc-update
>> [2] http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4965.msg33325#msg33325
>
> Probably not, in that case. We had a similar report in IRC. Thanks for
> the feedback!

Failed for me because it ran out of space. The difference between these builds is just too big.

I instead backed up /home/olpc/.sugar, reflashed from USB, and restored the backup. That worked pretty well.

> However, it does work in the general case (I've tested it) provided
> that there is enough disk space available. (i.e. if you work with a
> smaller target image)
>
> We'll work on improving this...
>
> Daniel

I seem to remember there was a "magic" upgrade image that copied the user data to the USB pen drive, reflashed, and restored the user data. That might be an option.

- Bert -