F14-build size

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed May 25 08:22:44 EDT 2011

On 25 May 2011 08:50, Yioryos Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is some discussion about the usability of F14 builds in relation to their size [1]
> F14 builds are _really big_ for the 1GB XO-1 NAND leaving very little space for the user. If a few videos or wiki is installed or even try olpc-update you may run out of space.

I filed http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10911 so that we investigate the
size growth. Also CCing Yader who expressed some interest in helping
us figure this out.

I personally feel that having GNOME (even in 10.1) on XO-1 is too
heavy size-wise for the laptops, and I know of various deployments
that don't ship it for reasons like these. So, while serious, these
issues won't affect the whole user base at this level.

> I was wondering if unused locales could be removed (a la localepurge) at first boot or after language selection, modifying also accordingly `%_install_langs'.
> This should save considerable space and make F14 builds more usable for the 1 million XO-1s out there.
> Of course deployments could make heir own builds and modify them accordingly, but I'm sure that many places may not have this luxury.

We already ship a fixed set of locales, as specified by the build
config, with all others removed. These are

Also, again note that deployments can (and do) strip this down for
their own builds.

As for olpc-update issues, I suspect that updating from old major
releases to 11.2.0 will be difficult (for disk space reasons) just as
it was for 10.1. I think we just have to live with this (its the
expense of shipping such a large software base on a small disk). But
perhaps you were referring to the inability to olpc-update between
individual 11.2.0 builds; that is now fixed, starting from build 20.
(so the build 20-to-21 update should work fine)

You say that stripping firmware, dri and locale saves 50% of the disk
space. Have you measured this or is this guesswork? It seems unlikely
to me that these items would constitute ~350mb of compressed space,
but I won't argue against real numbers ;)