Turtles All The Way Down

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Tue May 24 20:22:13 EDT 2011

Okay, it seems that I made the wrong questions (as always) and while got
perfectly good answers, I did not get the knowledge I wanted to have...
So it seems that I am looking this from the perspective of software
development and you see it as research. While I can totally accept that
research is interesting and cool, I would like to define a working
usable closed subset of the problems you want to research, to have a
finished "product" which can be put into the hands of children _now_.

So the real question is what the goal is? I thought that it is part of
the googleization effort and so it would become a Browser based
MegaTurtleArt or something like that. But now it seems that it is some
research into self contained systems or whatnot.

My thinking is this:
A browser based editor written in SimpleJS which can graphically edit a
subset of SimpleJS programs (the subset which can produced by the editor).
Editing the editor code can be done differently than editing the loaded
programs (or not at all).
If the user learned the generated SimpleJS then she can edit the source
of the editor with a text editor and save as a new activity (btw she can
look the source of the editor graphically if she wants).
Objects can be edited through a name/value editor which saves the object
to the object literal in the loaded SimpleJS source.
The editor does not save state, it just runs the loaded program after
It should have a TurtleArt and Scratch importer as well.

Now my "proposal" has the advantage that it does not need a runtime, the
source *is* SimpleJS. Since the editor cannot be modified with itself,
it cannot be destroyed, no undo needed. The generated SimpleJS (or the
AST in the blocks) can be undo-d. Since it does not want to save state,
the generated SimpleJS must not be obfuscated with passed in context
(and neither your editor source is obfuscated). Because only the source
is saved, it must not use the "macro" system but it has to simply parse
different AST into blocks by some pattern matching (and this is similar
to flattening + or &&). This pattern matching must be built into the
editor source and cannot be extended, the user can only extend via
functions (like JS programming, wow :).

So it is "just" a matter of finishing the editor and adding a turtle.
Note that it seems that I am looking at this program as to a user
interaction problem because I find it hard to design a TurtleArt with
touch interface and so it is an interesting problem for me. You seem to
find more interesting the turtle column thing. I really do not want to
tell you what (not) to do but the question is whether this turtling down
have so much pedagogical value to worth the added complexity?