Filesystems for kids

Carlos Nazareno object404 at
Sat May 21 02:17:38 EDT 2011

> I don't know where you get the idea that files, hierarchical file systems,
> and text editors are simple concepts. I would be willing to discuss
> introducing the Linux file system in middle school, but our issue is
> programming for third-graders, or even earlier. Preschoolers can grasp the
> ideas behind turtle art by acting the part of the turtle. Where would you
> have them begin?

Filesystems are not very hard to grasp. Do not underestimate first to

I think I've mentioned this before, but here in the Philippines we
have streetkids pooling money to take turns playing games in low-cost
internet cafes, (rates of about $0.40 an hour or so) and I have
personally seen 5-7 year old steetkids playing the 3D first-person
shooter game Counter-Strike and the real-time strategy game Command
and Conquer 3, things which are much much complex than simple windows

Third-graders are what, 8-year olds?

Filesystems should be no problem for them at all. It's very simple to
explain: just show them to concept of books/notebooks or folders in a
shelf or bag.

carlos nazareno
core team member
phlashers: philippine flash actionscripters
poverty is violence