Prelink

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:37:42 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> The standard solution to that is called "package managers"

If you search the archives, you'll find that we've done quite a bit of
research to find out what it'd take to get rpm to reasonable
reliability (or recoverability) in the face of powerloss, which is the
core promise of olpc-update.

On ext2/3/4, jffs2, ubifs and similar traditional FSs - impossible.

On btrfs (and similar modern FSs with straightforward snapshotting) -
doable. You may find that cjb has worked on a nifty yum plugin.

As btrfs matures, and if there aren't other holdups, we are likely to
use it on the platforms where we can.

thanks,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions