11.2.0 development build 19 released

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 19 18:29:03 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 06:54:54PM +0200, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> Hmm, the representation of the missing blocks and the 'Warning' at the
> end that not all blocks have been written put me off. It looked to me
> as if there was an error. Maybe we can represent that better?

No, just put it in the release notes.

I presume you used an old firmware version to do the fs-update.  Exactly
which version did you use?  This is important to know.  For those
updating from the latest stable 10.1.3 which has Q3A62, we expect no
warning.  For those updating using a firmware version after Q3A62, and
before Q3A65 or Q3B04, a warning may appear.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 02:55:33PM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> I think the error message is resolved in the firmware update.
> The visual representation is nice :)

I agree, I prefer the visual representation as it stands, and I don't
see why it should change.  It is still quite clear when it has finished.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 01:54:22PM -0500, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> ???  I myself (and perhaps others) am used to the entire matrix being
> visually filled with green.  [It already was a shock on the XO-1 when
> with F14 some blue intruded upon the first couple green lines.]
>
> Now the green leaves glaring gaps.  The user is being forced to TRUST
> that such gaps will not affect the running of the installed system.
>
> NOT a reassuring visual presentation.

I'm unmoved by your experience, sorry.  I'm happy to review OpenFirmware
patches that fix this, but I really don't believe it needs to happen.

Regular users are typically developers, testers, and technical teachers.

If we want a heavy GUI installer like Ubuntu or Fedora, just for the
pretty bits, someone should take that on.  But fs-update will probably
still outperform it.

I'd be more inclined to *remove* the graphical feedback than try to fix
it to meet expectations of installed base technicians.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/