zhashfs: write first block last

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu May 5 15:08:09 EDT 2011

On 5 May 2011 08:57, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Q3A65 removed this blanking, because it interfered with NANDblaster,
> which stores the received blocks of the .zd file in the SD card before
> fs-update begins.  On extending the blanking to the whole device, the
> .zd file being read by fs-update was also erased from about line 68
> of os860.zd generating "/nb-updater:68: Missing newline after zdata".
>
> So I think writing block 0 as all-zero will be needed.

Does nandblaster temporarily store the image on disk starting at block
0? If so, block 0 already will be lacking a boot sector.

Is it possible to fix the erasing? Perhaps nandblaster could do it
once it has confirmed that there's a server transmitting, before
starting the receive process. It has a few advantages:
- nicely solves this issue :)

- Second-guessing how cards actually work, I expect having less SD
card sectors occupied means less work for the housekeeping routines of
the embedded flash controller

- Guesswork again, writing to erased sectors is probably quicker than
writing to occupied sectors. Flash memory needs erase-before-write,
right? Hopefully not if its already erased.

- I'm hoping that moving to lazy inode table initialization means that
we can implement quick on-the-fly resizing to utilise all SD card
space in future. The one danger with this is block group descriptors
being reused from a previous filesystem which has some remnants left
on disk:

    The fact that parts of the inode table are
    uninitialized is not a problem so long as the block group descriptors,
    which contain information regarding how much of the inode table has
    been initialized, has not been corrupted However, if the block group
    checksums are not valid, e2fsck must scan the entire inode table, and
    the the old, uninitialized data could potentially cause e2fsck to
    report false problems.

Erasing the disk in advance means that there's no danger of old
descriptors being there.

- Around 4% of the writes of a sparse zd file are zero-blocks. I'm
still hoping to persuade someone to implement the logic I originally
proposed (in addition to the sparse thing) to further speed up
fs-update in the common case. The disk needs to be pre-erased for that
to work.

- It's nice to have for the privacy aspect

> Do you have a corresponding patch to zdextract in bios-crypto?  Your
> change to zhashfs has broken zdextract.  We don't use zdextract in the
> tool chain, but it was a surprise to find it no longer works correctly.

Sorry, wasn't aware of this tool. Perhaps you could fix it for sparse
first, and if it's not trivial to fix it for block-zero-last files at
the same time, I can work on that afterwards.

Thanks,
Daniel