[support-gang] wifi problem with the XO

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Mar 28 17:36:37 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 08:37:03AM -0600, Kevin Mauricio Benavides Castro wrote:
> a few  days I've  been  noted that in  some  XO,  do not detect
> wireless networks  at school

There are many possible causes.

> but  I  made        some  supporting evidence;  on  myXO
> but  apparently  when  I run:
>
> service NetworkManager start
>
> Setting network parameters...                              [  OK  ]
> Starting NetworkManager daemon:                       [FAILED]
> ** (NetworkManager:3108): WARNING ** NetworkManager is already running (pid
> 2875)

This evidence is not very useful; it only proves that NetworkManager was
running already, and therefore that a failure of NetworkManager was not
the cause of failure to detect wireless networks at school.

I suggest you do this test on each affected XO:

	sudo iwlist eth0 scan

... and see if the wireless networks at school are shown.  If they are
not, then either they are not present, the wireless card may be faulty,
or the antenna cable may be faulty.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/