Mesh Potatos and OLPCs?

Luiz Magalhaes luizschara at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 23:41:02 EDT 2011

I worked extensively with mesh networks and tested OLPC mesh network
under the auspices of the Brazilian government. I should clarify that,
most of the actual work was done by my then student, Ricardo Carrano,
who is now a professor in my department. I think most of the published
papers about the OLPC take on 802.11s are by us. We came to the
conclusion that a dense and a sparse mesh networks have different
needs, but as OLPC lost interest in supporting its mesh and a lack of
interest of the Brazilian government in funding research in that area
(also because the current testbed of 150.000 laptops are classmates,
which do not use 802.11s), our work in that area has been in the back
burner.

We still have plans for MAD (the Mesh Adaptation Daemon, which would
find out which environment - dense or sparse - the XO was in, and
adapt its parameters to it), but no progress has been made, and its
impact may be very small now, even if it is ever out of the drawing
board.

I agree that successful mesh networks are mostly static, but we
thought that the very mobility of the network (which in Brazil could
have 54 million nodes) would make it interesting.

  --luiz