[OLPC-AU] copy-nand vs update-nand

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Mar 20 19:12:12 EDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 04:24:03PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 17 March 2011 18:21, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > copy-nand is for unpartitioned jffs2 images.
> >
> > update-nand is for partitioned jffs2 images, or partitioned combined
> > jffs2 and ubifs images.
> >
> > Follow the installation instructions closely for the release you're
> > working with.
> >
> > Mixing the image types and commands can result in unpredictable
> > behaviour, if I recall correctly.
>
> The release notes for 10.1.3 at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.3#Installation do not
> mention how to do a manual (non-secure) installation.

That's because 10.1.3 is signed using OLPC keys.  The automatic
installation using the four game keys is what works, which is why it is
documented that way.  You will waste time doing it the manual way.

On your installed base laptops, once they have your deployment keys,
installation of your signed builds will also work with the four game key
method.

> On an XO-1.5, fs-update works well. On an XO-1, I have found that
> copy-nand works but update-nand doesn't write anything (and after a
> few minutes, reboots the XO).

Assuming you are mixing image types, yes, that matches my expectations.
I'm not sure you'll always get a reboot though.  Don't rely on it.

It isn't clear from your mail on this thread what you are trying to do,
or what didn't work for you.

11.2.0 is different for XO-1, in that unlike 10.1.3 it uses partitioned
images.

If you have placed an 11.2.0 .onu and .uim file on USB drive, and then
typed:

	ok update-nand u:\os14.onu

... and it doesn't work, then please report this in detail, at
dev.laptop.org.

But if you have placed an .img and .crc file on a USB drive, and then
typed:

	ok update-nand u:\osX.img

... then don't do that.  Nobody told you to do that.  ;-)  If something
did, please let us correct it.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/