Memory replacement

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Mar 13 18:34:24 EDT 2011

> The tests have also helped expose other issues with things like sudden
> power off.  In one case a SPO during a write would corrupt the card so
> badly it became useless.  You could only recover them via a super secret
> tool from the manufacturer.

Is there any "sledgehammer" process available to users without a super
secret tool ?

I've encountered SD cards which will be recognized as a device when
plugged in to a running XO-1 (though 'ls' of a filesystem on that SD
card is corrupt) -- but 'fdisk' is ineffective when I want to write a
new partition table (and 'fsck' appears to loop).  Since otherwise I'd
just have to throw the card away, I'd be willing to apply EXTREME
measures to get such a card into a reusable ("blank slate") condition.

mikus