Memory replacement

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sun Mar 13 13:06:13 EDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Andrei Warkentin <andreiw at motorola.com> wrote:
>> Sorry to butt in, I think I'm missing most of the context
>> here....nevertheless... I'm curious, ignoring outer packaging and
>> product names, if you look at cards with the "same" CID (i.e. same
>> manfid/oemid/date/firmware and hw rev), do you get same performance
>> characteristics?
>
> No.

To elaborate: see bunnie's blog post (cited above) on how the CID is
often forged or wrong.  I've also personally witnessed a
manufacturer's rep come to the factory floor to reprogram a compact
flash card's internal microcontroller with new firmware.  This did not
update any externally visible information reported by the chip.  I had
to convince the manufacturer to leave their proprietary hardware on
the factory floor in order to be able to verify that future units
would have the correct firmware.  (Granted, this was not an MMC unit,
but I would be surprised if MMC vendors were significantly different
in this regard.)

If you've spent any time working with Chinese/Taiwanese OEMs, you will
notice that version control methodologies are (in general)
disappointingly lax.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )