Discovering the XOs local timezone in a bash script

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sun Mar 13 12:07:12 EDT 2011

On 03/13/2011 11:56 AM, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On 13 March 2011 15:49, Richard A. Smith<richard at laptop.org>  wrote:
>> Thanks for clearing that up.  I've checked on build 860 and `date` reports
>> the timezone selected via the control panel.  So that gives me what I need.
>
> That only applies when you're in the sugar environment though.
> If you're dealing with data generated by powerd, or from a cron script
> or something like that, you'll get UTC regardless of what was selected
> inside sugar.

Bah.. :(  I was testing from the terminal activity.  I usually have
people run my script from inside terminal anyway but I'll have to make
sure I tell them that. Thanks.

Its unfortunate for the powerd logs but not a showstopper.  The
panel-pwr script doesn't use powerd because we fight over the rtc for
wakeups.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child