Memory replacement

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu Mar 10 19:18:48 EST 2011

On Mar 9, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 March 2011 17:31:24 Kevin Gordon wrote:
>> go, no-go, spend the extra pennies and get a Class 4/6/8/10
>
> Note that Class 8 does not exist (except fakes) and class 10 is
> usually not faster than class 6 if you run ext3 on it.
>
> Also, a Sandisk card is usually faster than a card from
> most other manufacturers even if they are one class faster
> nominally.

I'll call BS on that claim.   Sandisk cards are all over the map,
depending on the controller used internally.    Please understand
that these manufacturers change controllers all the time --- tests
results from nine months ago are invalid.

> See https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/KernelConsolidation/Projects/FlashCardSurvey
> for a list of many cards. Go for a brand that has a larger
> number of open segments. Also make sure that the partition
> is aligned to 4 MB, otherwise you waste half the performance
> and expected life.

We align our images to 8 MB boundaries, as 4MB isn't enough
for some cards.
Since fs-update installs the partition table as well as the partition
images, this happens automatically.

Cheers,
wad