[OLPC-AU] Determining developer lock status

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Mar 10 16:02:30 EST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 06:13:04PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> I was out there a year ago to assist in the initial deployment, but at
> the time I was quite green and so didn't know what to look for. I do
> remember that we used NANDblaster clone an installation from one of
> our own CL1 XO-1s to the school's CL1As (turning each on while holding
> the four game keys). Would that be an indication that they are not
> locked?

Yes.

The only NANDblaster function that will work to a secure laptop is
nb-secure [1].  nb-clone (which is what you did) requires an non-secure
target laptop set.  Otherwise the security system would be bypassed.

On using the four game keys ... <quote> This works for both secure and
non-secure systems. If the system is secure, the sender must be sending
a signed image; otherwise the receiver will stop before writing to it
NAND, saying "Placement spec bad signature!".</quote> [2]

1.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nandblaster_for_XO-1#NANDblasting_a_Signed_NAND_Image_File

2.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nandblaster_for_XO-1#..._with_Game_Buttons