[Server-devel] Hidden SSID and Proxy settings

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 7 09:08:22 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 11:49 +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Excerpts from Jerry Vonau's message of Mon Mar 07 09:51:30 +0100 2011:
>
> > Yes, think that would be a good idea, with this method connections.cfg
> > can be empty. Perhaps network.py can just use/create the needed file
> > for /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ or make that an option
> > available in control panel.
>
> Using system instead of user settings in Sugar has been planned for some
> time now [1], but I didn't get around to working on it.

11.2.0 is using F14, you gain the availability of mncli, and dsd's MN
patches for mesh merged in.[6] Sorry haven't booted 11.2.0 yet, does the
auto rollover to ad-hoc occur the same way as in 10.1.3?

> The first beta of NetworkManager 0.9 has been released [2] a few days
> ago. As of that version, the distinction between system and user
> settings is gone for good [3], so it makes more sense to migrate [4] to
> 0.9 right away instead of moving to system settings first.

Don't think that will make F15.

> As part of the 0.9 migration I'd like us to show configured connections
> in addition to the currently visible access points. This should help
> users working in less-than-perfect environments (disabled beacons, VPNs,
> access points on different sites that need different credentials but
> have the same SSID, etc.).

Wonder if just launching nm-connection-editor with a button would be
enough to keep users happy.

> We should also try to move our Ad Hoc auto-connect logic into
> NetworkManager. Not only would it make our code simpler and easier to
> debug, but non-Sugar users would benefit from the automatic "under the
> tree" networking as well. Even Mac OS X seems to have something similar
> to automatic Ad Hoc networking + link-local collaboration now (called
> AirDrop [5]).

Think we can gain that by reading/writing to the NM config directly.
Issue right now is if the connection drops while using keyfile, sugar
looks for the connections.cfg file, which would be blank and prompts for
the passphase. Split the Ad Hoc auto-connect for 0.9. matching up with
the new api.

Jerry

> Sascha
>
> [1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1884