Questions Re: Skype on XO

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 21:24:18 EST 2011

Hi Folks...

Back with more techie questions.  What can you tell me about Skype running on the XO?  I would especially like to hear from folks who have recently done successful 2-way video chats themselves.  I have read the instructions, and need to try but want to know the answers to a few questions first.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Skype

I need to be able to do a 2-way video chat.  I would like to know...

1) How much memory does Skype take up?

2) Do the instructions on the wiki at apply to 860?

3) What is the difference in performance between the XO-1 and the XO-1.5?

4) What is the reason for the difference, memory or speed or both?

5) Will I need to delete Activities before installing Skype?

6) Does it run just in Terminal in Sugar, or is there a way to use it in Gnome?

7) Can it run a video chat along with the text chat window for sending links etc?

8 Do I have to have a PC to set it up?  I am a "Mac person."

9) Can it run a video chat along with the text chat window for sending links etc?

10) What is "gstfakevideo"? Do I need it? Do I want it?

11) What other things should I know before installing an trying this?

Thanks

Caryl