NOW: OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (on #olpc-meeting, Fri June 10, 2:45PM EDT)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Jun 10 14:44:30 EDT 2011

Please join us now, voting for the latest OLPC/Sugar community
projects over IRC Live Chat, to make the best project allocations &
mentoring relationships--starting right here:

http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* Fast Review of the 7 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals.
   Plz join us advocating for & reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

   1. OLPC Training, Math and Secondary Students, Peace Corps Masters
Intl - Calif State Univ Northridge
   2. OLPC Tanzania Rural Cancer Prevention Initiative - Dallas, TX
   3. GPS navigator for bicycle (with modified charger for bicycle) -
Beijing, China
   4. Marysville Rotary Literacy XO Repair Facility - Guatemala &
Marysville, WA
   5. SWAG for Upcoming LUG Meeting - Los Angeles, CA
   6. Turning Slumdogs into Millionaires/Vocational Skills Transfer -
Kolkata, India
   7. OLPC Paktika, with Paiwastoon - Afghanistan

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. OLPC Training, Math and Secondary Students - Peace Corps Masters
Intl, Calif State Univ Northridge
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=81518
    http://www.csun.edu/~vcmth014/peacecorps/PCMI_10_2010.html
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 10 XOs over 36 months

    Project Objectives:
    California State University, Northridge (CSUN) requests 10 OLPC
    computers for instruction of Math and Secondary Education CSUN Peace
    Corps Master's International students. CSUN students will learn to use
    existing educational software and develop new projects appropriate for
    middle and high school level students. We will also teach CSUN
    students use to some tools developed by CSUN faculty for Mathematics.

2. OLPC Tanzania Rural Cancer Prevention Initiative - Dallas, TX
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=81646
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 4 XOs and 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    The Healthnovations International-UT Dallas Chapter aims to utilize
    the OLPC laptops in order to establish a thorough curriculum to promote
    cancer awareness to the Tanzanian community. The goal of the project is
    to empower pediatric cancer victims in the region to access information
    about the causes and consequences of the disease and to assist their
    communities in combating pediatric cancer with access to primary
    healthcare, education, counseling, emotional support, and medical care.

    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=81836

    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 1 XOs over 9 months

    Project Objectives:
    1. Since I will be a volunteer to teach some students in Qinghai
    Province(a very poor province of china) late July, if I can get one
before
    July, I can take it to these children to find out how favor do them
    like this , and what do they want and so on. 2. Help with some translate
    projects although my english is also very poor... 3. Since the olpc
    1.75 works only 2W, so we can use the hand-shake charger to charge
it for
    all the use.

    But it will do us a favor if we can charge the battery while
    riding bicycles! 4. With a usb gps receiver connected to our olpc
    laptop , and bind it to the bicycle , we can use it as a good navigator.
    We can develop a program using google map api, providing some
    history and culture information arround where you are, and you can
    also select anywhere to learn something about the place you select. I
    think I can develop it using Qt.

    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=82243
    http://www.clubrunner.ca/Portal/SitePages/SitePage.aspx?cid=275
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 10-15 brickes XOs over undetermined months

    Project Objectives:
    This is a project that is being lead and developed by High School
    students with supervision from adult school staff and with the support
    of outside community computer professionals. Students will learn
    technology troubleshooting skills, which will be used during the
    project. Skills include but are not limited to: using a multi-meter,
    oscilloscope, audio equipment and soldering equipment. Also students
    will create a working business model on the proper manner of receiving,
    processing, repairing, packaging and shipping of the XO systems.

5. SWAG for Upcoming LUG Meeting - Los Angeles, CA
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=82585
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests outreach materials

    Project Objectives:
    Requests OLPC outreach materials for Linus User Group meeting(s).

    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=82735
    http://impactforpeace.blogspot.com
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 26 XOs over 1.5 months

    Project Objectives:
    To uplift the living standard of underprivileged families, by providing
    vocational trainings, especially computer skillsto enhance their
chance of
    upward social mobility.
    To infuse in the community the notion that education is an important
way for
    them to get rid of poverty.

7. OLPC Paktika, with Paiwastoon - Afghanistan
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=82810
    http://www.paiwastoon.af
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 10-12 laptops for 3+ months

    Project Objectives:
    Ensure that teachers in Paktika where 450 XO 1.5s will be delivered are
    comfortable and confident before children's laptops arrive. Create and
    trial new interactive teacher training materials (developed with EXE see
    www.paiwastoon.af/eldep) that will help standardize teacher training and
    ensure all teachers have completed essential teacher training modules
    (avoid issues where trainers short change training time).

    Afghanistan's children suffer from critically short classroom
    instruction time, receiving roughly 55% of class time in comparison to
    UNESCO’s average of countries like Argentina, Basil, India, Jamaica,
    Jordan, Malaysia, Peru, Russian Federation, Tunisia or Uruguay. Due
    mostly to a lack of resources in terms of both material and human
    capital, Afghan schools are often teaching between 2-3 shifts a day with
    the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan’s Ministry of
    Education delivering approximately 35 minutes classroom time per subject
    and 5 subjects per grade.

    Also, Afghanistan’s harsh winters, mountainous geography and severe lack
    of infrastructure imposes yet another significant limitation on the
    Afghan school year.

    PAIWASTOON found that the minority of homework is marked by the
    teachers; while that being marked is done hastily without provision of
    in-depth feedback. Hence, OLPC's interactive book is an improvement to
    offering little or no feedback as is currently practiced. Interactive
    digital learning applications also can support children's problem
    solving and logic abilities to find their own mistakes. In terms of
    gender implications, the OLPC offers equal opportunity to both girls
    and boys; whereas boys in some circumstances are allowed greater
    freedom leave the home seeking help and feedback, girls often don't
    have this ability. A digital device with learning content can turn
    any space into a virtual classroom. More so, rote learning is
    dominant throughout Afghanistan and by overcoming feedback challenges,
    time can be found to use constructivist tools such as the already
    localized turtle, etoys and scratch.