[IAEP] Turtles All The Way Out

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 18:13:51 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Dr. Gerald Ardito
<gerald.ardito at gmail.com>wrote:

> Walter and Edward,
>
> I am very interested in this conversation.
> As you know, I have been working with 5th graders and XO Laptops for the
> past 3 years in the middle school in which I teach.
> For next year, I have designed a pilot program to teach our 6th graders
> about programming software and devices. I have seen the sequence as
> beginning with software and then leading to robots of some kind.
> I think Turtle Art is a perfect place to start, especially given this
> conversation, and the availability of the XOs.
> So, I am willing to test out the work you are doing with these students.
>
>  I have some questions:
> 1. Will the recent version of Turtle Art (Turtle Blocks) run on the latest
> XO build?

Yes. v108 should run on any XO build.

2. In order to use sensors, what kind of devices are you talking about
> (WeDos?; Arduino? Something else?).

Those are all nice, but just using the microphone in works nicely. Plus you
have the camera.

> 3. Do you have or know of a curriculum that addresses our project?

There are lots of bits and pieces. Regarding robots, there is a nice book
written by Fred Martin that came out maybe 5 years ago. (Fred was one of the
principal designers of the original Lego robotics kits at MIT and helped
develop with 6.270 curriculum. He teaches at UMass-Lowell.

enjoy.

-walter

> [...]
>> is that I don't (generally) edit them in line; rather, I leave that to other
>> tools. This was a design decision; in part my goal was to give incentive to
>> using Pippy and Edit rather than recreate Pippy and Edit in Turtle Art
>> itself. But I suppose that making it possible to change them directly in
>> Turtle Art as well maybe necessary. I can do it easily enough, but it adds
>> more complexity.
>>

>>> If you can implement more blocks in such bits of Python, do it, so
>>> they'll have more blocks they can open up and examine and modify from
>>> the GUI.
>>>
>>> How to get them beyond the TurtleArt GUI into the actual Python source
>>> code of the body of TurtleArt is a challenge that nobody seems to have
>>> insight on.  The "View Source" concept seems to have been much harder
>>> to implement than we all expected.
>>>

>> I am hoping that the recent work I have been doing on View Source -- you
>> can use it to make copies of the source -- may help.
>>

>>> Don Hopkins worked on a PostScript-based window system (HyperLook)
>>> that would let you "flip over" an object on the screen to see "behind
>>> it" a control panel with the guts of its implementation visible.  You
>>> could modify those, then "flip it back" and it would resume running.
>>> See: http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/hyperlook/index.html and
>>> http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/simcity/hyperlook-demo.html .
>>>
>>> Looking back at HyperLook, it looks a lot like the etoys environment,
>>> full of object oriented code with direct manipulation gui editor
>>> interfaces.  It's dead now; a historical curiosity of interest only to
>>>
>>> prior-art searchers defeating too-obvious software patents.  It's hard
>>> to keep such self-contained and self-referential environments alive
>>> and relevant in the world at large.  I think one problem is that the
>>> state of the environment doesn't get kept in simple text "files" -- a
>>> concept of enduring value.  My old APL programs are all dead too; they
>>>
>>> were "objects" in "workspaces" and weren't usually stored in small,
>>> persistent, portable, named, modular textual representations, the way
>>> C or Python programs are.
>>>

>> This is why I am trying to get kids to leave Turtle Art behind. It is
>> there as a hook to get them started, but not intended to be more than a
>> stepping stone.
>>

>>> Perhaps the key is to keep these immersive environments sufficiently
>>> tiny that you don't mind them dying when you turn your attention to
>>> something else.  Tininess also helps to make one understandable and
>>> modifiable by others in case they DO want to keep it going after you
>>> move on.
>>>
>>>        John
>>>

>> It is worth pointing out that there are some math teachers in .UY who are
>> using the export SVG capabilities of Turtle Art to launch their students
>> into more sophisticated graphing and data visualization. Not what I had
>> expected, but quite a good outcome nonetheless.

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org