11.3.0: Share repos across arches -

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 28 19:29:44 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 02:00:17PM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> One topic for 11.3.0 is whether to maintain separate repos for x86 and
> arm platforms, or to share the repos and count on proper 'arch' being
> set on rpms so that OOB pulls the right package.
>
> If we keep them separate,
>
>  - we'll want to sync noarch packages
>  - we'll want a script to check that binary packages are in sync
>
> if we mash them together...
>
>  - repo size will grow - possibly a minor concern re repo metadata
>  - bootfw needs to get its arch sorted - how do we currently sort xo-1
> vs xo-1.5 bootfw?

We currently "sort" them by placing them in a dropbox according to the
XO model, and use the model-specific dropbox in olpc-os-builder.  (The
firmware build scripts handle this in the copyme step).

'arch' would not be sufficient for XO-1 vs XO-1.5 selection, since the
hardware has the same 'arch'.

I propose:

(a) bootfw should split into per-model variants, with the model name in
the package name, e.g. bootfw-xo-1_q2e46-1, bootfw-xo-1-5_q3b14-1,
bootfw-xo-1.75_q4b05-1, because they are different things and should
never be compared, (tip of the hat to Peter Robinson, 11th July),

(b) the package should be noarch, because the src.rpm does not contain
source, (tip of the hat to Richard Smith, 10th July),

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/