Removing linux-firmware from the build

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at
Thu Jul 28 16:05:17 EDT 2011

I think this might be the same issue, if not, please forgive:

On all of our deployed XO 1.0  machines, immediately after reflashing, we
run one of Mavrothal's scripts that pretty much removes everything from that
directory on the XO 1's.  The script saves one file only:  USB8388.bin   If
one deletes that file, I believe networking ceases to function.  The code he
uses is here:

mv /versions/pristine/"$OSVER"/lib/firmware/usb8388.bin
rm -rf /versions/pristine/"$OSVER"/lib/firmware/*
mv usb8388.bin /versions/pristine/"$OSVER"/lib/firmware/
mv usb8388.bin /versions/run/"$OSVER"/lib/firmware/
rm -rf /versions/pristine/"$OSVER"/lib/firmware/*
mv usb8388.bin /versions/run/"$OSVER"/lib/firmware/

The script also removes a bunch of dri/lib,icon 256, and language versions.
Frees up about 60Mb on our machines.  His full script, along with a swap
script, and some bad/ugly installs script is in this thread

O, and most importantly, the USB microscopes and Vernier sensors continue to
work after deleting all those files.  I still haven't been able to get a
USB2VGA projector to work on any 11-2 builds even beofre the firmware
removal, so I cant comment on that part.