Removing linux-firmware from the build

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Jul 28 11:38:05 EDT 2011

Hi,

linux-firmware, the package that puts lots of stuff in /lib/firmware,
is growing and growing and is mostly irrelevant for us, including
firmware for (e.g.) SCSI controllers.

I'm considering removing it - nothing in the XOs uses firmware from
that package. (our wireless firmware comes from other packages)

The question is, do any external devices used by our users pull on
firmware from this directory? Browsing the contents, I doubt it, but I
thought I'd ask anyway. I may also just remove it from the builds as
an experiment, see if anything breaks.

Thanks,
Daniel