[Sugar-devel] Pulse Sensor: an Open Source Heart-rate Sensor that Rocks by Yury Gitman ? Kickstarter

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Wed Jul 20 00:22:23 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 01:25:31PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 08:07:40PM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342192419/pulse-sensor-an-open-source-heart-rate-sensor-that
> >
> > Minus the Arduino, can this plug into the audio/mic port?
>
> That would be a question for the designers.  I could not figure it out
> from the context.
>
> I can tell you, based on the Arduino board that is used, and my
> knowledge of the pinout, that the sensor uses 5V from the board, and a
> ground, and the signal from the sensor enters one of the Arduino analog
> inputs.  However, the analog inputs can be used for digital data as well
> as analog data, so this is inconclusive.
>
> For the XO, the sensor would require 5V power, perhaps from the USB
> port.
>
> I can't tell if the sensor output is compatible with the microphone
> input.

Do you know what kind of voltage that mic input can handle?
+/5 VDC?

this seems like it would be related:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Making_XO_sensors/How_to_connect_sensors

I live in the same city as this fellow. maybe I can contact him and loan him an
XO from my lending library?

The cost of the final assembly might not be cheap/accessible enough for many
developing world schools to take advantages of this.

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|

Youth of today!  Join me in a mass rally for traditional mental
attitudes!