F14 testing for the new "chrome" driver

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 22:52:37 EST 2011

This is not for the faint of heart, but I think I have enough pieces
working that I am ready to take on bugs from the general testing
populous. This update is for XO 1.5 developers that are using the F14
based builds.  If you aren't running this configuration close this
e-mail now and walk away.

Installation:

You need to download 3 files from here http://dev.laptop.org/~jnettlet/f14/

http://dev.laptop.org/~jnettlet/f14/xorg-x11-drv-chrome-5.74.33-1.fc14.i686.rpm
http://dev.laptop.org/~jnettlet/f14/xo1.5.conf
http://dev.laptop.org/~jnettlet/f14/01-disable-dpms-off.conf

Use rpm to install xorg-x11-drv-chrome-5.74.33-1.fc14.i686.rpm, then
copy the other two files to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

After you restart X you should now be running the chrome video driver.

What works:

- Hardware accelerated rotation
- Multiple XVideo ports, (I.E. skype video chat, ekiga, multiple movies)
- Rotated XVideo support, if you rotate the screen while a movie is
playing it will still be accelerated.
- Texture compositing - if you enable compositing in Metacity things
should not be slow as death.  This is still a WIP and not supported by
us at all, just mentioning it.

What doesn't work:

- Aggressive power saving causes display corruption.  If you are
reliant on this do not switch video drivers.  Normal suspend/resume
like closing the lid should be fine although I have done limited
testing.
- switching between Sugar and GNOME will give you some temporary
display corruption
- DRI is not implemented yet.  I will work on getting that into the
next release.

Please file bugs for anything else you find.  The sooner we find them
the more time I have to fix them.  Try not to file duplicate bugs
please.

Thanks for testing and catch me on #olpc-devel if you need immediate assistance.

-Jon