Brief (and early) ode to fedpkg

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 19:46:17 EST 2011

On 1/24/11 12:35 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 15:21 -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> Fedpkg has consolidated Fedora's common stuff into its code, so all
>> you need is a git checkout with a spec file and some patches right
>> there. And it'll build your stuff, locally, via koji, whatever.
>>
>> Real Nice.
>
> Yeah, fedpkg&  git are the best things that happened to Fedora in many
> years...

Thanks!

> I just wish we could get rid of the redundant changelog in the
> spec file.

That's a bit of a struggle, as there are times when you want something
in the scm changelog that isn't really appropriate for the rpm
changelog, like fixing a typo in the specfile between build attempts.
We do provide the clog facility so that one can re-use the spec
changelog for the SCM changelog when appropriate.  I've also explored a
bit using a %include directive to include contents from a changelog
file, one that might be auto-generated from source control, but I didn't
go very far with it.

Basically I view the scm changelog as data that is relevant and
important to your fellow maintainers, where as the rpm changelog is data
that is relevant and important to the rpm consumers.  While there is
some overlap, they are not the same consumers.

> Oh, and the ability to push builds to bohdi while sitting comfortably in
> our shell sessions would also be great.

As another has mentioned, there is an "update" target for fedpkg.  Luke
Macken ported the code that was in the Make system in CVS.  I believe it
still has some rough edges but should work.  If there is something
deficient there, please to file a ticket and we'll look at improving it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!