Version numbers for XO-1/XO-1.5 vs XO-1.75 releases

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:27:18 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> We're at a small dilemma regarding numbering of version numbers of
> OLPC OS releases.
>
> The current scheme is documented here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Process_Home#Release_Names
>
> It would be nice to stick with it, as this is what deployments are now
> used to. (However, changing to another scheme is not out of the
> question)
>
> The problem:
>
> XO-1.75 software will not be a "joint release" with XO-1/XO-1.5 at the
> moment, as the current target for Fedora ARM is 12 (stable) and 13
> (development). So, the first XO-1.75 software release seems likely to
> be based on Fedora 12 or 13, for which there is no current base for XO
> software. There is no determined schedule for this release, yet. (It
> is our hope that Fedora/ARM will catch up enough so that joint
> releases are possible in future, but this does not seem imminent.)

The ARM team is closing on the F-13 release for ARM now, with
hopefully a release shortly. I suspect it will be discussed more in
depth at FUDCon as I believe most of the people involved with ARM are
going to be there. Straight after the F-13 release we'll be moving on
to getting Fedora 14 release built as soon as possible. This should
hopefully be gearing up with the arrival of Panda Board soon
apparently :-)

> The next XO-1 and XO-1.5 joint release will be based on Fedora 14 and
> do have a fixed schedule (to be announced within the next few days).
> Since it will be released this year, the above URL would suggest that
> we take version 11.1.x for this new stream.
>
> However, that raises the question of what happens if an XO-1.75
> release based on F12/F13 comes out later. Would it take the 11.2.x
> namespace, appearing "newer" than its 11.1.x F14-based cousin?

What happened with the naming of the XO 1 and 1.5 initial release
numbering? They weren't originally in sync.

> One option we have is to call the new XO-1/XO-1.5 release 11.2.x,
> leaving 11.1.x free for a possible OLPC XO-1.75 software release based
> on F12/F13. I think thats the best option we have right now, but might
> create a bit of confusion as "what happened to 11.1??"

What about bumping the major release to 14 for the stable XOs and to
12/13 for the 1.75 reflecting the Fedora release that its based upon
and then use the usual 14.1 14.2 etc that way there's no confusion
based on the underlying os ages and allows the usual point releases.

Peter