Pending xkeyboard-config OLPC patches

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Feb 24 15:14:23 EST 2011

martin wrote:
 > On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > i'll cut to the chase and say that i'm completely confused by what's
 > > happened, or not happened, and by what you've done to make it better.
 > > in other words, it's probably all fine.  ;-)
 >
 > Ok. So for the F11 series, you and Sayamindu worked on the
 > 'keyboard-data' repo. It had some issues...
 >
 >  - It has an "initial import" that wasn't upstream's pristine 1.5 --
 > it was 1.5 plus several patches (the patches Fedora rpms were applying
 > at that exact time, plus some of ours... but not all). So I studied
 > the delta between pristine and our "import" to trace all changes.

thanks.  that clarifies.

 > It paid off -- there was a one line change that wasn't in any patch,
 > and I think it'd have bitten us.
 >
 >  - That repo also has dropped some patches that were present (and of
 > value) the F9 rpm. Notably the 'olpc2 for es' patch that is discussed
 > @ http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9126 . Same with the patch for
 > http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5060 . I don't know if this was
 > intentional. I've re-merged the #9126 patch. I strongly suspect that
 > #5060 is addressed in a different way now.
 >
 > Were these patches removed for a good reason? Perhaps you can remember...

no, sorry, i don't remember -- i suspect it was an oversight.  i
started from the tree sayamindu pointed me to, and didn't spend a lot
of time on anything but the mechanical key layouts.  (it was a bit of
a rush:  the h/w layout of the mech keys was very carefully done to
avoid any need for software remapping of the US keyboard, but at the
time we'd sort of overlooked the mapping work needed for the spanish
version.  and since the principle customer for those keyboards was
spanish...  :-)

paul

 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org