[OLPC-AU] magic update usbkey

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Feb 9 23:09:58 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 02:59:18PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 10 February 2011 14:45, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 02:07:00PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> >> A practical example of how this can be used:
> >> http://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/346
> >
> > netcfg.sh blindly sources xonet.cfg without any filtering. ?Very brave,
> > very powerful. ?An rm rf / planted by a child in the borrowed drive will
> > be instructive.
>
> I don't understand how this is a problem. It's just reading
> environment variables from xonet.cfg to insert into config files. It's
> not executing anything. Am I missing something?

Looking at netcfg.sh in reply #14 on http://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/346

CFG="/media/$USB/xonet.cfg"
if [ -f $CFG ]; then
    tr -d '\r' < $CFG > /tmp/xonet.cfg
    . /tmp/xonet.cfg

This removes carriage return characters, and executes each line in the
file.

You may test this by adding some harmless command to the file.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/