turn off logs?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Feb 9 17:21:20 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 10:54:30AM -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:58 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On XO-1.5 with 10.1.3 ... using "strace -ff -e write" against olpc-dm,
> > followed by use of Terminal, Write, and StopWatch activities, filtering
> > by fd 1 and 2, generated 387 writes, of which only three took more than
> > 1ms. ?The longest was 24ms.
> >
> > Adding Record activity, and taking four photographs, and a video, the
> > total writes is now 5920, and only nine took more than 1ms. ?Most writes
> > were below 33us.
>
> So still, nothing happens with the small writes.

No, the writes that stalled were tiny, no more than about 80 characters
being added to the activity log.  The above statistics are for the
writes to file descriptors 1 and 2, stdout and stderr, which are
directed to the activity or shell logs.  I did not examine the writes to
X socket, instance data, or journal.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/