turn off logs?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 00:14:56 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 12:06 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> the kernel has the right to convert the write into an
> effectively synchronous operation.

I am not understanding... can you explain a bit more why it'll turn synchronous?

> On XO-1.5, this hurts us badly, because of the
> random write performance of the internal storage.

Is there a real-life case in which this is hurting us? I fully follow
the story on quirky perf profile of our storage, large eraseblocks,
etc. But small async writes?

> I don't see how this could bring Sugar down, please
> provide more detail

I mean that oddly-behaved activities can bring Sugar down -- not in
writing their logs. Now, you do want to write those odd things down
before Sugar & xorg come down crashing.

>  A separate disposable logger process might
> alleviate your fear.

Yep.

>  It's something for Sugar Labs to consider

Sugarlabs these days is just where AC + OLPC + a few other (worthy,
talented, over-committed) hands meet. There is no magic resourceful
upstream to lean on.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions