Proposal for new frozen repositories server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 19:52:27 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> git has a tendency to hang during switches between branches

git + many large compressed binary files == lots of unhappiness,
pointless abuse of IO.

You don't save any interesting disk space re metadata (fs metadata vs
git metadata likely cancel out). And git's internal assumptions about
what you're trying to do... yeah, LOTs of unhappiness.

You have my vote on ditching it. And I cannot think of anything better
than a good old filesystem for the task at hand.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions