[Testing] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 5 February 2011

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Feb 6 13:39:54 EST 2011

Gary wrote
> I'd like to see the home list view dropped (and there does seem to be
> support from others for this idea), and for its functions to move to the Journal

Home list view should be kept.  Journal ought to show "what the user did
" -- a diary of what the user wants to remember about the past.
Home list view ought to be an "inventory" of what "verbs" are available.

I do not think having separate searches for "what did I do" vs. "what
can I do" is hard for kids to understand.  [As an adult, I *like*
keeping them separate.]

Once upon a time Journal was for showing the __instances__ of when
"verbs" (and "nouns") had been accessed.  There was a long discussion of
"How to delete an unwanted activity from the XO".  I no longer remember
the consensus - but I felt strongly that deletion (and therefore
listing) of Activities should occur only from home list view -- deletion
from Journal ought to remove that instance of the activity having been
used, but NOT the activity itself.

In my own case, I have over 100 Activities installed (a much smaller
number get placed in the ring).  I would find it confusing to have the
Journal be listing activity_instances that I don't remember running.  [I
believe that (thank goodness) currently, Software Update does NOT add
entries to the Journal for the activities it downloads.]

mikus   (Personal opinion;  I'm not a deployment.)