Kahn Academy, YouTube, XO-1

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 11:37:40 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned Khan Academy here before.
>>  http://www.khanacademy.org/
>
> There is a long thread on the iaep list beginning here:
>
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-December/012201.html
>
> There are pre-converted (to .ogg) versions available as well as an
> archive.org stash.

For video I think a good alternative to look at for gnash in the
default install is
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashvideoreplacer/  It
is actively developed, the source is here,
http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flashvideoreplacer , and is GPL
licensed.  I understand we use flash for other things, but I think
this is a good solution for some of the more popular video sites.
This should also help with battery drain while watching vdeos because
it allows the graphics hardware to do some of the work instead of a
pure CPU driven software solution.

-Jon