[OLPC Engineering] [Techteam] New F14-arm build os21

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 21 22:06:10 EST 2011

On 22 Dec 2011, at 00:23, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
> <sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
>> It's a recognition that no software is bug-free, and that users
>> (especially children) will always find a way to make a system
>> difficult to use. For example, children often load activities without
>> closing previous ones. We can educate them to not do this, but it
>> still happens on occasion.
>
> That's exactly the feedback I was looking for, thanks. That's a UI bug
> in Sugar. I would strongly prefer the Sugar environment to behave more
> like Android, where any app/activity that is in the bg may get an
> instruction from the shell / OS to cleanup and exit.

+1! (fwiw same as iOS), though the horse has already bolted due to the past calls to support GNOME ported applications with few design considerations for our resource targets. Perhaps we can release/exit activities that at least support the write_file() method, and maybe add an additional new method for something like remember_state(), seeing as the original design requirements were not strict enough in requiring developers to expect to completely resume state accurately (cursor position, UI view modes, etc).

--Gary