what is the root filesystem mounted as??

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 20 03:34:33 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 19:09 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> Editing /etc/fstab on a laptop and comparing dmesg between boots shows
> no change to how the ext4 filesystem is mounted.

As in it's mounted ext4 and not ext3? I didn't check the logs..

> I suggest that /etc/mtab is created from /etc/fstab, and the root
> filesystem was mounted by initrd before /etc/fstab is available, and
> that /etc/fstab is ineffective.

I thought dracut would need to regenerate the initrd to pickup the new
fstab settings before this would take effect. I've generated an image
with the fix suggested in 11558 and the resulting image displays ext4
when viewing mount's output. Is this a bug in mount?

Jerry