debug dongle

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 11:11:19 EST 2011

> On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> >> On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> >> What exactly do you want to do ?
> >
> > Port u-boot to the device.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that.   We have no interest in running u-boot
> on our hardware.

I have no interest in running OFW ... anyway, it boils down for me to use a
soldering iron. Ok, no problem then.

> Open Firmware isn't just boot firmware.   It is involved
> in the entire life cycle of the laptop.   The firmware shipped on
> the laptop is used in the factory to test the bare motherboards,
> and also for functional tests of the assembled laptops.   Once
> delivered to users, OFW both a quick way for users to check
> the hardware functionality and tools for repair shops to diagnose
> problems.    OFW also supports mass reflashing of laptops
> via WiFi multicast.
>
> Type "menu" at the OFW prompt to see some of the diagnostics
> for the current stage of your laptop's life.

I already was there, and explored it's possibilities, yes.

> >> In general, we use Open Firmware to completely re-install the OS onto
> >> the laptop (as in "I just hosed the kernel on the eMMC and it refuses
> >> to boot.)
> >
> > Exactly, I'd prefer to replace the software from bottom up.
>
> Learn about Open Firmware.   It has GREATLY increased my productivity
> as a hardware debugger, and as mentioned earlier, is integrated into the
> entire life cycle, not just booting an OS.
>
> >> You can copy a new kernel into the boot directory in the boot partition
> >> using Open Firmware, although it is much easier to do this from Linux.
> >
> > It's not about kernel, I like to do lowlevel stuff.
>
> Then you will love OFW.   And it is all open source.   You can see the
> current OFW source running on your laptop at:
> http://code.coreboot.org/p/openfirmware/source/tree/HEAD/

TBH I saw it and being one of the uboot custodians and not really gone to like
forth, I can't share your enthusiasm. It's definitelly interesting approach, not
just my cup of tea. Sorry about that.

> > Also, if I was able to debug
> > the thing via OpenOCD, that'd be cool. I added PXA3xx support to OpenOCD,
> > I see no reason why I won't be able to support A610.
>
> Supporting OpenOCD on the 1.75 might get you that JTAG interface dongle.
> Do you already have the Marvell JTAG "black box" ?

Blackstone II? The LPT one, yes.

> Or if you use your own JTAG interface device, the JTAG pinouts on XO-1.75
> are documented at:    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.75_B1#Documentation

I saw that one, but you just need to attach that foil cable there ... making one
is just bothersome.

Cheers!