XO 1.5 Solder Reflow in Toaster Oven

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Tue Aug 23 22:25:19 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple of hours ago, I baked the second XO 1.5 motherboard and yep, it
> booted after that.  I took tons of pictures this time.  I'll post a writeup
> with the pictures in the next few days.  At this point I feel like Julia
> Child.  If Julia Child put circuit boards in her oven.

Sounds delicious.  Now we can all chip in and get you a new toaster ;-)

I can't wait to see the pictures...  If you get some other boards to
play with, [now that you seem to have dedicated your toaster to the
cause] you could try other variations on heating as well, [including
disassembly/reassambly without heat] assuming what's being fixed here
doesn't necessarily involve reflow.

> And no, this is definitely not for the "typical" user, but hey, on Friday I
> had two dead XO 1.5's and now on Sunday evening I've got two working units.
> No idea on the longevity of this fix, but OLPC is all about experimentation,
> right?

Right!

SJ