[Sugar-devel] Attn maintainers Re:Pootle and POT files

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 07:13:23 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:40:28PM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> There is a widely held belief that Pootle takes care of updating the
>> POT files in git and updating the Templates on Poolte.  This is not
>> entirely accurate.
>>
>> The fact is that there is nothing in the Pootle code itself that does
>> this automatically.  This automagical updating used to occur, but it
>> was handled by scripts that Sayamindu had created to make it occur.
>> These scripts have not been functioning for some time, probably since
>> the last Pootle upgrade.  We will look at re-establishing this
>> functionality in conjunction with an upcoming upgrade of the Pootle
>> version, but for now, if a developer makes UI string changes it is
>> necessary for them to regenerate the POT file and commit it to git and
>> then notify the Translation Team (me) to pull the changes up to Pootle
>> with a Template "Upgrade from VCS" where they can then be distributed
>> to languages with an "Update from templates".
>
> That might be too messy..
>
> ie, if pootle was handling this sort of things in auto mode, then, for
> sometime, all activity devs need to take care on theirs own, then pootle
> will back to processing in auto mode..
> It sounds more problematically especially for honey (fructose is more
> centralized but even there we might have problems with in-time .pot
> updates).
>
> What about handling these .pot updates out-of-pootle and do not bother
> activity devs? If you give me a list of repos (I guess some kind of
> pootle config), I can setup regular .pot updates for git repos.
>
> --
> Aleksey

Aleksey,

Yes, the manual process is messy, which is why we intend to
re-establish the automagical updates.  This request for a round of
updates from maintainers is intended to catch us up with UI changes
madce since the POT update process stopped work so tha localizers have
a solid baseline to work from *n the limited time until the 0.94
release.  It is an interim measure, not a proposal for a permanently
changed workflow.

cjl