C\C++ & SDL

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Aug 8 03:15:21 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:21:29PM +1000, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> Somebody like me with poor Linux skills finds the installation of
> packages quite daunting though I am capable of writing some (fairly
> trivial) C programs.

It's not a Linux skill, but a Fedora skill.  Other Linux distributions
handle this in a different manner, and for those distributions I would
say it is easier to install an IDE than use it to write a C program.

I suspect your experience in writing C programs has distorted your
ability to properly perceive the difficulty experienced by a completely
naive user.  It seems to me that "yum install packagename" should be
much easier than

	#include stdio.h
	main() { printf("hello world\n");

> It might be worthwhile providing a C IDE as an XO bundle at ASLO. It
> doesn't need to be Sugarised, like the Gnumeric Sugar launcher, and
> could keep its non-sugar menus and file system.

I don't think this would be practical.  I've no idea if Sugar Labs would
like to do it.  The time would be better spent making the task easier
for a naive Fedora user.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/