Attn maintainers Re:Pootle and POT files

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 22:40:28 EDT 2011

All,

There is a widely held belief that Pootle takes care of updating the
POT files in git and updating the Templates on Poolte.  This is not
entirely accurate.

The fact is that there is nothing in the Pootle code itself that does
this automatically.  This automagical updating used to occur, but it
was handled by scripts that Sayamindu had created to make it occur.
These scripts have not been functioning for some time, probably since
the last Pootle upgrade.  We will look at re-establishing this
functionality in conjunction with an upcoming upgrade of the Pootle
version, but for now, if a developer makes UI string changes it is
necessary for them to regenerate the POT file and commit it to git and
then notify the Translation Team (me) to pull the changes up to Pootle
with a Template "Upgrade from VCS" where they can then be distributed
to languages with an "Update from templates".

In order to catch up and establish a solid baseline for the upcoming
0.94 Sugar release, we have been asking activity maintainers to
refresh and recommit their POT files.  The follow list describes those
completed and those that still need a refresh.

If you are a maintainer of an activity on the "needs refresh" list,
please regenerate the POT and commit it to git.

Fructose (refreshed)
chat
imageviewer
jukebox
log
pippy
read-
terminal
turtleart
write

Fructose (needs refresh)
calculate
web-activity (browse)

Honey (refreshed)
abacus
cartoonbuilder
flipsticks
get_ia_books
infoslicer
jigsaw-puzzle
joke-machine
oficina
paths
portfolio
read-sd-comics
readetexts
* ruler
slider-puzzle
speak
TamTamSuite
viewslides
visualmatch

* git updated, still working on Pootle update

Honey (needs refresh)
acoustic-measure (distance)
analyze
arithmetic