powerd-dbus network extension

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Aug 3 15:39:55 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Not sure if powerd makes use of it at all already (for things like watching
> videos in totem) but why not use the kernel/upower inhibit functionally just
> like totem and the like does. Then powerd just needs to
> listen/check/whatever for the inhibit and it would then also work (if it
> doesn't already) for those apps like totem in the gnome desktop.

Good suggestion, I assume you are talking about
http://people.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-session/docs/gnome-session.html

Apart from totem, what else uses this? NetworkManager doesn't (and
can't, since it is systemwide and this is only for sessions), so it
wouldn't solve the immediate problem.

Unfortunately it would be a lot of work to implement, because
gnome-session implements this interface. We would have to rebase sugar
around that. Then we would have to extend upower to support our
idle-suspend model, and somehow get it to replace or play nice with
powerd (because gnome-session calls into upower for this stuff). And
then we'd have to solve the network problem separately anyway...

Thanks,
Daniel