XO-1.75 B1 units - this is how they look

Martin Langhoff martin at laptop.org
Mon Aug 1 09:51:07 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
<christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Congrats!

On behalf of the combined foundation & association team -- thanks!

> Oh, and is that a green non-membrane keyboard I'm seeing there? :-)
> Will this be a standard feature on XO-1.75s, an option for SKUs, or is this
> simply a prototype configuration?

Instead of offering a mechanical keyboard in blue units, which
entailed some manufacturing complications, we'll have it as an
optional on the usual green/white.

It's different enough that it's a separate model altogether (CL2 for
membrane, CL2A for mechanical kb) -- meaning it's different enough
that it requires separate certifications (yup, double up the cert
costs). This makes sense if you consider that CL2 can be certified as
a"children's product" thanks to the safer design of the kb.

We are doing some background work to improve the membrane kb --
mechanical engineering is hard and can't be rushed (not with good
results anyway). So it's hard to know whether it'll make the cut. Keep
your eyes open for C1 stage units -- :-)

cheers,

 - ask interesting questions