Interactive whiteboards

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 14:14:46 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
> Now that we have USB2VGA adapter support, has anyone tried an XO with
> an interactive whiteboard? These things are in every classroom here in
> Australia.
>
> I understand that there are different models that each work
> differently, and their proprietary nature makes compatibility even
> more difficult. I've had some success in the past using a normal
> laptop and Sugar on a Stick, but because we didn't have the
> manufacturer's software we couldn't calibrate the input to the
> display.

I seem to remember Fedora has tools for communicating and calibrating
at least one type of interactive whiteboard and as a result for those
models it would be a matter of adding the appropriate packages into
the builds. Doing a quick google it seems that quite a few of the
IWB's do have various support for Linux including Fedora so support
would be possible without too much problem and in this case its likely
best for the local teams to add appropriate support into their local
builds.

Of course a list of models that the schools use in Australia would
help making recommendations as to the best route to support.

Peter