The next four weeks

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Apr 12 17:21:14 EDT 2011

2011/4/12 NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu>:
> What I do not get is this: what is the goal?

An excellent educational experience on tablet devices, within the
resources of the current Sugar community.

> Having an environment running on Android which can run the same XO bundles
> which are run by XO-1.x?

Ideally, yes.  In practice, some porting will almost certainly be
required; the goal would be to minimize that work.

In addition, in the Android scenario, Sugar would gain the ability to
run educational activities written natively for the Android
environment which would provide capabilities currently missing from
Sugar -- for example, the Android "Movie Studio" activity.

> If the Sugar API has to be changed (adapted for some technical reason) would
> you fork all activities?

It may be possible to write activities such that they can run on
either platform.  TurtleArt has a number of ports, for example, but I
do not believe it has forked.  It's a little too early to make
definitive statements, but obviously there are many benefits to
avoiding unnecessary forks.

And, again, I have to remind folks that this is only *one* possible
forward path for Sugar-on-Tablets.  This week I am examining a
ChromeOS-based option.  http://cananian.livejournal.com/62667.html
describes the current plan of work, and there will be further
exploration of promising options after that.
  --scott