WebM format for Record

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 21:48:50 EDT 2011

> Oh and there was a question about backwards compatibility.  I know
> there would be work testing it, but I see no problems with backward
> compatibility.  We would just have to check file types and adjust the
> pipeline accordingly.  We would also have to adjust the mimetype
> properties to any Activities that may hard code them.

A quick follow up.  I decided to do a general shoot out for Record and the
different codecs.  Here is an html5 page that shows all three codecs.

Upper Left is default Record.  CPU utilization was around 95% on average.
Upper Right is webm Record   CPU utilization was around 75% on average
Lower Left is theora 1.2.0alpha1.  CPU Utilization was around 95% on average.

This is with no changes to the pipelines.  I just wanted a quick reference.

Jon