WebM format for Record

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Apr 9 14:16:20 EDT 2011

On 04/09/2011 02:00 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Ben, what are your thoughts on Theora vs WebM for Record? You
> mentioned at one point that Theora developers were considering
> focusing on the low-power arena (being displaced by WebM on the
> high-power high-res front), is that direction being taken?

Essentially, yes.  The WebM encoder (libvpx) has always been much slower
than libtheora because VP8 is much more computationally intensive than
Theora.  The libtheora devs have been working to expand this difference by
adding encoder speed optimizations.

The latest versions of libtheora (1.2 alphas, and maybe even more in SVN
head) contain a lot of work to speed up encoding.  I have recommended
several times that OLPC ship 1.2-prerelease libtheora in the default
build, due to the significant speed improvements.

> So encoding speed is quite a big deal

Indeed.  I don't see WebM as being a realistic option for Record until
OLPC gets WebM encoders in silicon, which will presumably be after XO-3.

--Ben