Bad interaction between sleep timeouts and Salut?

Daniel Drake dsd at
Thu Sep 16 05:23:18 EDT 2010

On 16 September 2010 10:14, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at> wrote:
> Excerpts from Tomeu Vizoso's message of Thu Sep 16 10:24:26 +0200 2010:
>> Assuming the problem is in the Avahi level, we should make sure that
>> the system is coming out from suspend when the radio receives
>> multicast activity directed to us [...]
> It doesn't, by explicit decision. [1]

Right - thats the key point. Theres an incompatibility between the
design of idle-suspend and between the use of salut collaboration (or
with the use of any multicast-using application).

And even if we did wake up on multicast, we frequently fail to wake up
on network even when we're supposed to

Increasing the frequency of "I'm here" communications would help this
issue but you'd end up saturating the network even more that already
happens, and I predict that it still wouldn't be reliable.

Best short term solution would be to disable idle-suspend, or at least
disable it when salut is being used.