OLPC wireless startup at boot time

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 10:28:22 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 08:35 -0500, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
>> > The question is why does it take so long for the connection to be established?
>> >
>> > A 10-12 second reconnect time is to be expected:
>> >  1. A 1 second delay for the device to be probed and initialized on resume
>> >  2. NetworkManager has a 7 second delay hardcoded
>
> Really? That sucks!
>
> Finally explained why my simple shell script could connect in just 3
> seconds whereas NM took a lot longer.

The hardcoded sleep *is* being removed. IME, that'll first uncover a
variety of bugs and odd interactions/races in various drivers and
hardwares it has been covering for.

Only once we're past that fallout, with those bugs accounted for and
fixed, we might get better behaviour. In the meantime. suckitude in
this area is likely to increase :-[

ain't optimism great?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions