os852-xo1 wireless connectivity

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Oct 17 14:25:40 EDT 2010

>> While troubleshooting a problem I have on os852 xo1 (interface eth0
>> disappears),
> You're probably seeing this bug:
>   http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195
> After a very long chase, we fixed it for good in Dextrose by disabling
> mesh support:

Yes - the symptom looks the same (though I havent seen "USB disconnect")

The environment I have in mind as my "ideal deployment", though, is
"under the tree" where a number of XO-1 machines are running
Fedora9-based builds.  I think it would be difficult to persuade their
owners to all consent to upgrade to a build which supports ad-hoc.  Yet
owners who did upgrade will want to collaborate with owners who did not.

I am having very good luck running mesh on all kinds of XO-1 builds in
my own environment (which connects to an access point through wired
ethernet).  Thus it came as a surprise to me that when I tested in a
different environment (which connects to an access point through
wireless), that eth0 would disappear on os852-xo1 with October RPMs.
[Back in September, os852-xo1 in that environment kept its eth0.]

[Note - I have no difficulty running/using eth0 (or connecting to the
AP) if I __manually__ set it up it from the command line  -- it is only
that Sugar now does not show Access Point icons in Neighborhood View.]

For the time being, I will continue to investigate this "eth0
disappears" situation - and will even write an os852 ticket if I find
something defective.  Regarding my "ideal deployment", I suspect it
might be easier to "back" the os852-xo1 build to keep using mesh, than
to "forward" previous-year XO-1 owners to start using ad-hoc.

mikus