[squeakland] Audio recorder broken on XO-1.5

tom.staubitz at fhtw-berlin.de tom.staubitz at fhtw-berlin.de
Thu Oct 14 05:38:46 EDT 2010

On Oct 12, 2010, at 8:26 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> (I'm copying the olpc devel list)
>
> On 12.10.2010, at 07:58, tom.staubitz at fhtw-berlin.de wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm currently experimenting with Etoys' audio recorder on the XO.
>> It seems to be broken on the XO-1.5.
>>
>> While it works (more or less) ok on several XO-1s, all of them have a fresh install of System 10.1.2/Sugar 0.84, it completely fails on the XO-1.5, running the same System/Sugar version.
>>
>> Following is a description of what happens:
>> I create a new project, open the supplies box, fetch a Sound Recorder, and place it somewhere on stage.
>> I press the record button, the microphone control light lights up and I'm able to record about a second or two. Then Etoys gets kind of stuck. It is hard to move the mouse cursor, stop the recording, remove the recorder...
>> It takes some time, then Etoys starts to be responding again and I'm able to delete the recorder. Even if the recorder is deleted the microphone control light still keeps burning until Etoys is finally stopped.
>>
>> I wrote more or less ok as on both XO's the quality of the audio is less than satisfactory. Also the level of the recording is very low. Maybe a control to adjust the input level might be a means to improve this.
>>
>> If this list should not be the appropriate address for reports like this, please tell me and give me directions where to go to instead.
>
> The squeakland list is okay to report Etoys problems. If you are fine with a more technical discussion, the etoys-dev list is even better:
>
> Your report sounds like this issue:
> 	http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-641
>
> So we are aware of it, and there is a solution. But we (Etoys developers) do not build the XO operating system nor the Etoys/Squeak packages used there.  To actually fix this for OLPC users in general, the packaging needs to change (in particular to fix older versions). The OLPC developers list is more appropriate to discuss that:

> There are open tickets on the OLPC tracker too:
>
> 	http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9724
> 	http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9527

Thanks for the links. I'll check the bug trackers next time before reporting.

> Currently we have nobody driving the process of getting this fixed. But volunteer positions are always open, maybe you are interested in helping out? :)
>
> - Bert -
Any other time I'd say yes. But I'm currently writing my master's thesis, have a couple of day time jobs, and a newborn baby. So I hardly will find the time to actually fix stuff.
What I can offer to do though, is reporting bugs or issues that occur to me while I'm doing research for my thesis.

Cheers,
Tom